New surveillance video shows altercation with inmate, jailers shortly before inmate’s death

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY – Charges have been filed following the death of an inmate at the Oklahoma County Jail.

Investigators said 40-year-old Charlton Chrisman was arrested April 18 after he drove through the Deaconess Hospital waiting room window. The next day, he was found unresponsive in his jail cell and pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

His official cause of death was “acute methamphetamine intoxication,” according to the Oklahoma State Medical Examiner’s report.

However, officials said jailers did have a run-in with Chrisman less than two hours before his death.

Charlton Chrisman

On Tuesday, KFOR received the surveillance video of the incident from the Oklahoma County District Attorney’s Office.

Surveillance video shows water coming out of a cell at the Oklahoma County Jail around 12:30 a.m. on April 19.

A federal lawsuit filed by Chrisman’s family claims he set off a sprinkler on the ceiling of an isolated cell. About two and a half minutes into the surveillance video, jailers are seen coming to check on him.

Members of the ‘Sheriff’s Emergency Response Team’ or S.E.R.T. responded to Chrisman’s cell, and officials said two of the jailers had pepper ball guns.

As soon as the staff opened the cell door, an unclothed Chrisman ran toward the jailers. According to the video, Chrisman is immediately hit with pepper balls before he is restrained on the ground.

About five minutes later, he is taken away in what looks to be a wheelchair.

Chrisman was taken to Saint Anthony’s Hospital where he was pronounced dead around 1:45 a.m.

The medical examiner’s office ruled Chrisman died as a result of “agitated delirium due to acute methamphetamine intoxication.” It also notes “multiple pepper ball injuries” to his body but adds those injuries were not an underlying cause related to his death.

The report said Chrisman had 14 to 16 pepper ball gun injuries.

Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater has now charged Colton Ray and Brian Harrison with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

Oklahoma County sheriff’s officials tells us Ray resigned in August and Harrison was terminated on Thursday after the charges were filed.

Harrison turned himself in, but so far Ray still has a warrant out for his arrest.

Brian Harrison

KFOR spoke to the Oklahoma County Sheriff’s Office on the phone. They tell us they’ve made dozens of changes since the incident, including more training for S.E.R.T. members.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.