Oklahoma family loses everything after house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PICKETT, Okla. – All that is left of the Gould’s home in Pickett is the concrete slab.

On Thursday evening, Jimmy Gould rushed home after finding out that his house was on fire.

He says his son, 9-year-old Jamie, accidentally started the fire while playing with a lighter.

“He stayed in the fire, almost too long, he tried to put out what he started,” Gould told KXII.

His other son, 19-year-old Colton, also tried to put out the fire.

“I almost had it, and I had down to about the size of a softball, and I had an asthma attack and I had to get out,” Colton said.

In addition to all of their belongings, the family’s dog perished in the blaze.

“I keep saying they’re just stupid little things, it’s all stupid little things–my family made it out–but those stupid little things were pretty important,” Heather Gould said.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.