Audio recordings describe moments before Oklahoma pilot disappeared over Gulf of Mexico

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY - New audio recordings are describing the final moments before an Oklahoma pilot disappeared over the Gulf of Mexico.

"Good afternoon, OK City departure Cirrus 325 Julie Kilo. 3.5 climbing to 4-2-0. I had a flight plan on file, but I have amended my destination," said Dr. Bill Kinsinger.

Those were the words of Kinsinger as he piloted his Cirrus S22T plane from Oklahoma to Texas.

Voice recording from flight control in Oklahoma City reveal the anethesiologist in good spirits as he began his journey south.

Family members said Kinsinger left Wiley Post Airport to pick up a dog in Georgetown, Texas earlier this month.

Credit: Bill Kinsinger
Courtesy: Pilots N Paws

The FAA confirms the Cirrus S22T plane left Wiley Post Airport and filed a flight plan to Georgetown.

"And, 5 Julie Kilo descend and maintain 13,000 feet," said Ft Worth Control.

"13,000 5 - Julie Kilo," Kinsinger said.

That was the last time we hear Kinsinger's voice on the tape. He then never responds to tower hails.

Officials said Kinsinger did not land in Georgetown but rather continued on the same course.

The North American Aerospace Defense command launched a pair of F-16 fighters to make contact with the plane. The pilots dropped flares and performed other military maneuvers to get the pilot’s attention, but Kinsinger appeared to be unresponsive.

Experts believe Kinsinger likely suffered from hypoxia while behind the controls.

FAA officials said the plane was last seen on radar about 219 miles northwest of Cancun at 15,000 feet and was headed into the Gulf of Mexico.

Pilots N Paws tells KFOR that Kinsinger has been pilot with them for years and was on his way to pick up a husky for them when his plane disappeared.

Credit: Bill Kinsinger
Courtesy: Pilots N Paws

The North American Aerospace Defense Command deployed two fighter jets to find out what was going on.

"This guy has not answered them. He is going backwards. They think maybe he passed out. They are sending people out to find him," said one woman.

Kinsinger and his plane were never found. The Coast Guard ended the search a few days after his disappearance.

Kinsinger's son hopes to raise enough money to continue his own personal search for his father.