2-year-old suffers terrifying allergic reaction after eating single cashew

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

EDMOND, Okla. — A toddler is back home and doing well after being hospitalized for a terrifying allergic reaction.

It happened last month.

"My son is having an allergic reaction," said Kelsey Landis to a 911 dispatcher.

"How old is he?" the dispatcher said.

"He's 2 1/2," Landis said.

She later told the dispatcher her son has never had an allergic reaction before.

It's a call no parent wants to make.

"We had gone to a friend's house for lunch. We sat down, and we were about to eat," Landis told News 4. "He had a plate of cashews, fruit and cheese. I was standing right next to him and saw him eat the cashew. As soon as he ate it, he started projectile vomiting, his face started to swell."

Landis said she tried to get him to a hospital, later pulling over and waiting for help to arrive.

"They came to us," she said. "They later told me that he had gone into anaphylactic shock, and I mean they saved him."

She said her 2-year-old son, Cruz, has eaten cashews in the past, however doctors said you never know when your child could develop an allergy.

"You never know, and you certainly can't watch them every minute of every second of every day but just be cognizant that it can happen," said John Graham, a paramedic with EMSA. "She did great. She made the right decision. I know a lot of times the gut instinct, especially if you're in a car, is to drive. You want to immediately pull over and call 911."

That decision could end up saving your child's life.

"They got him hooked up to a nebulizer, gave him epinephrin and Benadryl and they did it so quick," Landis said. "I mean, while it's happening, it feels like a lifetime. But, it was a whole 10-minute process, and it saved him."

Little Cruz had a Paul George 'Shadow Buddy' with him the entire time.

George donated 600 shadow buddies to EMSA to ride along with children in the ambulance, which paramedics said helps keep them calm.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.