Texas Tech Upsets Cowboys

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Oklahoma State's football team struggled on both sides of the ball and lost to Texas Tech 41-17 on Saturday night at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater.

Tech's offense racked up 621 yards and OSU's offense struggled in the second half, failing to score after the second quarter.

Both teams had to punt on their opening possession, and OSU took over their second possession on their own 1-yard line.

The Cowboys marched 99 yards in 8 plays, with Taylor Cornelius passing to a wide open J.D. King for a 23-yard touchdown to put OSU on top 7-0 with 7:35 to play in the first quarter.

Tech responded with an 8-play, 75-yard drive, with Alan Bowman passing to T.J. Vasher for a 12-yard touchdown to tie the game at 7-7 with 4:50 to play in the first quarter.

The Tech freshman passed for 397 yards and two scores.

OSU responded with a 39-yard field goal from MattĀ  Ammendola to regain the lead, 10-7, with 2:00 to play in the first quarter.

Texas Tech quickly moved it down field and on the first play of the second quarter, scored on a 1-yard run by KeSean Carter to take a 14-10 lead.

Oklahoma State marched into Tech territory on the ensuing possession, but on 4th and 1 from the Red Raiders 21-yard line, Justice Hill lost yardage and Tech took over on downs.

The Cowboys got it right back on the next play, as Jarrick Bernard intercepted a deep pass and returned it 15 yards to the OSU 47-yard line.

OSU took advantage of the turnover, with Justice Hill scoring on a 13-yard touchdown run to cap a drive that took just 47 seconds, giving the Cowboys a 17-14 lead with 10:40 to play in the first half.

Hill finished with 111 yards on 12 carries.

Texas Tech went 75 yards in eight plays to regain the lead, with SaRodorick Thompson scoring from a yard out to make it 21-17 Red Raiders with 7:15 to play in the first half.

OSU punted after three downs and Tech then added a field goal, with Clayton Hatfield hitting a 31-yarder to give the Red Raiders a 24-17 lead with 1:40 left in the first half.

Texas Tech was driving to an apparent touchdown early in the 3rd quarter, but A.J. Green intercepted a Bowman pass in the end zone for a touchback.

OSU couldn't move the ball, though and punted, and Tech responded with a 62-yard drive in 7 plays.

Demarcus Felton got loose for a 27-yard touchdown run to put the Red Raiders up 31-17 with 8:57 to play in the third quarter.

The Cowboys' defense stopped Tech on their next possession, but on the Red Raiders' punt, Tylan Wallace muffed it, and Tech recovered at the OSU 41-yard line.

That set up a 32-yard field goal by Clayton Hatfield to make it 34-17 Red Raiders.

In the fourth quarter, Adrian Fry intercepted a long pass by Cornelius.

Cornelius was 18 for 38 passing for 258 yards.

That set up a 17-yard touchdown run by Felton to cap the scoring and give Tech the win.

Felton had 121 yards on 12 carries.

Oklahoma State had won nine straight meetings against Texas Tech.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.