OKLAHOMA CITY – Two men were electrocuted in the Bricktown canal Sunday night.
First responders were called out to the scene near Reno Avenue and N E.K. Gaylord Boulevard shortly after 8 p.m.
The Oklahoma City Fire Department says one man fell into the canal and swam to the side to get out where he grabbed a light pedestal, which then broke and electrocuted him.
MORE: This is an example of the light pole the man grabbed after he fell in. Crews have now removed the pole that shocked him, as you can see by the cone in it’s place. @kfor pic.twitter.com/dMg5fKpoyQ
— Jessica Bruno (@JbrunoKFOR) October 1, 2018
Bystanders told fire crews a second man nearby attempted to help the first victim get out, but he was also electrocuted.
TWO ADULT MALES ELECTROCUTED in the Bricktown Canal near 100 block S. Mickey Mantle Dr. just after 8 p.m. Firefighters pulled both men out and initiated CPR. A light pedestal broke when the first man tried to get out which is what electrocuted him. 2nd man was trying to help. pic.twitter.com/9hQoXCAEF1
— Oklahoma City Fire (@OKCFD) October 1, 2018
Both men had to be pulled from the water.
Firefighters say the men were in cardiac arrest and CPR was performed. Paramedics were able to get a pulse from one of the men before both were rushed to the hospital. Their conditions are unknown.