Right place at the right time: Oklahoma officer saves baby choking on Halloween decoration

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CLAREMORE, Okla. – The holidays are just around the corner, and experts are warning Oklahoma families about the dangers of some decorations.

Hannah Norman was decorating her Claremore home for Halloween when her 7-month-old son, Jesse, started acting strange.

“I went to move him and he just started puking and I didn’t know… and he started to act like he started choking,” said Hannah Norman.

Amazingly, Norman spotted a police vehicle outside and brought Jesse to the officer.

Officer Brian Burnett, with the Claremore Police Department, had just finished a refresher course on responding to choking calls.

“Immediately when I took that child, it was like I was back doing those drills at the fire department,” he told KJRH.

After a few minutes of Burnett patting Jesse on the back, something came up.

“She says, ‘I see it,’ and she reaches in the baby’s mouth and pulls out a little pumpkin confetti decoration,” he said.

“I just want to say, ‘Thank you, you saved my baby.’ Like I said, if he wasn’t out there, I don’t know what would’ve happened,” Norman said.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.