Oklahoma family’s home destroyed by fire days before Christmas

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

COLBERT, Okla. – Twylla Comeaux was planning on giving to others this Christmas, but those plans were put on hold following a fire at her house.

Comeaux told KXII that she had just arrived home from church on Tuesday morning when she smelled smoke coming from her bedroom.

“My bedroom was smoky, so I shut the door and I ran and grabbed the baby and the bag and I shoved her outside and screamed for my mom. My parents live next door,” said Comeaux.

No one was injured in the fire, but most of the family’s belongings were destroyed in the blaze.

Colbert police say the fire was likely caused by an overheated extension cord.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.