Christmas Day fire turns deadly

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

House fire near SW 27th St.

OKLAHOMA CITY — Four people spent Christmas morning in the hospital after suffering severe burns during a house fire, officials say.

One adult male died as a result of injuries according to officials.

Around 10 a.m. on Tuesday, Oklahoma City Fire Battalion Chief Randy Cornelius said crews responded to a residential neighborhood near S.W. 27th St. following a reported house fire.

The four injured adults were reportedly using a garden hose to transport natural gas from one structure to another for heat.

“It’s the outbuilding behind this house,” Chief Cornelius said, describing the scene. “It appears the natural gas escaped inside the room and there was a flashover basically of the gas.”

A ‘flashover’ is a rapid extension of fire through unburned fuel.

Emilio Rievera lives two houses down. He says he was awakened by the sound of his neighbors screaming, as though they were in pain.

He said unfortunately, this is not the first time he’s seen something like this in his neighborhood.

“This neighborhood used to be quiet, now it’s starting to get pretty bad because I’ve seen a lot of people walking by, just riding bicycles and stealing stuff from the house,” he said.

The four were rushed to INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center for severe burns, according to Chief Cornelius.

News 4 reached out to Oklahoma Natural Gas and they responded with the following statement:

“We extend our thoughts to all those affected by this event that occurred at Southwest 27th Street.  We are cooperating with the Oklahoma City Fire Department and Police Department during the investigation.  Safety is our top priority at Oklahoma Natural Gas and any changes or alterations to our equipment should only be made by authorized personnel.  As always, if you smell natural gas or suspect a leak, leave the area and call 1-800-458-4251.”

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.