One dead after Christmas Day house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY – Officials say one person has died from their injuries following a fire on Christmas Day.

Terry Lynn Bailey, 64, died from his injuries at INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center Wednesday.

Around 10 a.m. on Dec. 25, Oklahoma City firefighters were called to a neighborhood near S.W. 27th St. following a reported house fire.

Investigators learned that someone used a garden hose to move natural gas from one structure to another one nearby.

“It’s the outbuilding behind this house,” Oklahoma City Fire Battalion Chief Randy Cornelius said, describing the scene. “It appears the natural gas escaped inside the room and there was a flashover basically of the gas.”

A ‘flashover’ is a rapid extension of fire through unburned fuel.

Officials rushed four people to the hospital for treatment of severe burns.

News 4 reached out to Oklahoma Natural Gas and they responded with the following statement:

“We extend our thoughts to all those affected by this event that occurred at Southwest 27th Street.  We are cooperating with the Oklahoma City Fire Department and Police Department during the investigation.  Safety is our top priority at Oklahoma Natural Gas and any changes or alterations to our equipment should only be made by authorized personnel.  As always, if you smell natural gas or suspect a leak, leave the area and call 1-800-458-4251.”

Data pix.
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.