This fantastic, easy reduction sauce is the perfect compliment to grilled or roasted pork or chicken. The sauce would be equally delicious over grilled chicken breasts, roasted pork tenderloin or roasted chicken breasts. The flavor combinations are outstanding, and it adds an unexpected gourmet flair to a simple meal.
- 2 C blueberries (may be fresh or frozen)
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 C firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 T butter
- 1 T grated orange or lemon zest
- 2 t chopped, fresh sage (or 1 t dried)
- Combine ingredients except sage in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce to simmer: continue stirring occasionally until sauce has reduced by 1/2 and has thickened – 10-15 minutes.
- Using fork tines or potato masher, mash berries, if desired.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. May be made in advance; serves 4-6.