Target registers back online after widespread outage

(CNN) — Target cash registers were back online after a two-hour systems outage on Saturday that left exasperated shoppers venting frustrations online.

In a statement, the company said the failure was not the result of a data breach or security-related issue.

“The temporary outage earlier today was the result of an internal technology issue that lasted for approximately two hours. Our technology team worked quickly to identify and fix the issue, and we apologize for the inconvenience and frustration this caused for our guests,” the statement said.

Earlier in the day, Target acknowledged guests were “unable to make purchases” at its stores but did not provide details.

Social media users reported cash registers were not functioning properly at dozens of stores across the country and posted images of long lines.

“This is how you bring America to a standstill,” a Minnesota journalist shared on Twitter alongside a photo of an error message at a cashier’s stand. “Every single register at the Richfield [Target] is down.”

Employees at three different locations in Georgia told CNN the registers had been offline for about 45 minutes as of 3 pm ET.

It’s not clear how many Target stores were affected or what caused the outage. The company’s corporate office did not immediately respond to requests for details about the issue.

Target has 1,800 locations in the United States, and a large presence in India.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.