Oklahoma City hospital placed on lockdown following text message threat

Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY - A hospital in Oklahoma City was put on lockdown following an investigation into a possible threat.

Oklahoma City police tell News 4 St. Anthony Hospital, near NW 10th and Classen, was put on lockdown Sunday afternoon after reports of a threatening text message involving an active shooter.

Police say a patient's family member received a text message that could be considered threatening from an estranged relative. The message was shown to hospital staff, and the hospital decided to go on lockdown just to be safe.

Police say somewhere down the line people misunderstood what was happening, that's when they started receiving reports of an active shooter from both hospital staff and patients.  After investigating, police said there was no active shooter at the hospital and no suspect was found.

St. Anthony is no longer under lockdown.

Greg Wahwasuck says he was inside the hospital when it went on lockdown. He said it was hard not to think the worst after what happened in Dayton and El Paso.

"But once I saw that, and hear stuff like that, then I become more like, wow, this is real.," Wahwasuck said.  "The thoughts go through your head like, are they going to come up here?  What's going to happen?"

Logan Hill says he was also in the hospital when it was put on lockdown.  He says even though it was a false alarm it was a very scary situation.

"I was a little nervous because the fact that there was a shooting in El Paso," Hill told News 4.  "It does make you a little nervous because there are some crazy people out there and I don`t want no part of that."

The incident remains under investigation.

On Monday, SSM Health St. Anthony released the following statement:

"On the afternoon of Sunday, August 4, SSM Health St. Anthony Hospital implemented its lockdown procedure when a threat was identified and deemed to be credible. We immediately notified the Oklahoma City Police Department and are appreciative of its swift response. We worked closely with them to report, evaluate and ultimately clear the threat made to our midtown facility. We respectfully defer to the police on questions regarding any ongoing investigation. As always, St. Anthony Hospital remains committed to ensuring a safe, healing environment for our patients, visitors and staff."

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.