Shawnee home a total loss after lightning strike causes fire 

SHAWNEE, Okla. – A Shawnee home belonging to a former major league baseball player is a total loss after it was struck by lightning earlier this week, sparking a fire.

Just before 11:30 p.m. Monday, fire crews from several agencies responded to a house fire near Bryan Avenue and Bradley Street in Shawnee.

The homeowner, Ryan Franklin, and his family exited their home safely after they heard a “deafening boom.”

According to the Shawnee News Star, a lightning strike “knocked down a portion of the home’s columns and the chimney also was blown off.”

The 10,000 square-foot home caught fire and due to limited access to hydrants, several fire departments assisted in battling the blaze.

The paper reports the home was a total loss.


Click here to read more.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.