OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – The Oklahoma City Black Chamber of Commerce and the Oklahoma City Police Department honored several officers today at the inaugural Reflections of Courage gala.
The honorees included:
- Former OKC Police Chief M.T. Berry – First and only African American chief of police
- Deputy Chief Paco Balderrama – First Hispanic/Latino deputy police chief
- Maj. Julie Smith – One of five females to first complete the OCPD police academy (1972) and become a
patrol officer as well as the first female major
- Captain Sharon Oster – First Native American female police captain
- Captain Vashina Butler – First African American female police captain
- Captain Taylor Dinh – First Asian male police captain
“I am proud to recognize these six individuals who have demonstrated bravery, courage, commitment, and wisdom throughout their careers as public servants,” said Oklahoma City Police Chief Wade Gourley.