KONAWA, Okla. (KFOR) – An Oklahoma school district decided to dismiss class early on Friday after a child tested positive for COVID-19.
Shortly before 12 p.m. on Friday, Konawa Public Schools announced that the district was dismissing class at noon and sending students home.
“Today, we received notification from a district parent that their child(ren) has tested positive for COVID-19,” a letter to Konawa Public School parents read.
Officials say that parents of students who were possibly exposed will be contacted directly by the district or the health department.
District leaders say Konawa Public Schools is closed to quarantine through Aug. 28 and students will be distance learning during that time. At this point, all activities are suspended until further notice.
Classes will resume in-person on Monday, Aug. 31.
The CDC recommends that you:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid close contact with those who are sick.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or your sleeve.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth and nose.
- Disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects.
- Stay at home, if possible.
- If you must go out, practice social distancing, leaving at least six feet between you and other people.
- Avoid gatherings that include more than 10 people.
“Our greatest priority is the safety of our students, staff and community members. Please continue to take necessary precautions to protect yourself and those around you for the next two weeks. It is important to remember that children are greatly influenced by the reactions of adults when facing difficult circumstances. I encourage everyone to remain calm and to be empathic and respectful to those affected,” said Konawa Public Schools Superintendent Cory Ellis.
- GOP hopeful Supreme Court battle will help shift election
- TRACKING THE TROPICS: Beta crawling toward Texas, Louisiana coast
- Tropical Storm Beta meandering toward Texas, Louisiana
- More suspended smoke in Oklahoma for your Sunday. Plus, portions of Oklahoma could get rainfall Monday Night / Tuesday depending on the exact track of Tropical Storm Beta. Watching!
- Trump promises to replace Ginsburg with a woman – and soon