Two arrested for neglect in baby’s death

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A metro baby, the victim of apparent malnutrition, has been pronounced dead at the hospital.

The 3-month-old child weighed in more like a preemie at the time of death.

The child was brought to Integris Southwest Medical Center in Oklahoma City Sunday morning; when she arrived doctors called police.

OKC Police Sgt. Jennifer Wardlow said, "The staff at the hospital said the child appeared to be very thin, malnourished."

By the time police arrived the 3-month-old baby girl had died.

Wardlow said, "According to the report, you could actually see through her skin, you could see her ribs. She appeared to be very, very malnourished."

One of the doctors at the hospital delivered the child earlier this year and told police at birth she weighed about seven pounds and had no known medical issues.

Sunday, at the time of her death, she was much smaller.

Wardlow said, "The doctor estimated this child's weight at about three pounds at 3 months old."
Alysha Anderson, 19, and 20-year-old Miguel Soto were taken in custody and booked into the Oklahoma County Jail on three counts each of child neglect.

We went to their home to see if any family members might be there Monday morning.

We knocked and waited but no one ever answered.

Neighbors were shocked to hear the child had died.

As for police, they are continuing to investigate the child's death.

Wardlow said, "As of right now, this has not been ruled a homicide. The counts are only for child neglect."

Neighbors said there were two other children living in the home.

No word on where those children are now.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter