PUTNAM COUNTY, Fla. (CNN) — Florida recorded its youngest death from COVID-19 last week, a 9-year-old girl.
Kimora Lynum died last Saturday in Putnam County. Her family said she had no underlying health conditions when she developed a very high fever.
They say she was taken to the hospital for treatment, but was sent home. The child reportedly collapsed a short time later and died after her heart failed.
Her family has no idea how or where “Kimmi” contracted the coronavirus. Her grief-stricken mother says the child was healthy and stayed home all summer and had no contact with anyone who had COVID-19.
The 9-year-old is the fifth child in Florida to die from the virus. The state has experienced nearly 400,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases.
- FDA approves Gilead’s antiviral drug remdesivir to treat COVID-19
- Oklahoma ‘Teacher of the Year’ finalists announced
- Bucs-Raiders game moved from prime time after COVID-19 test
- Sooners and Cowgirls Picked in Second Division of Big 12 Women’s Basketball Preseason Poll
- Senate Judiciary Committee votes to advance Judge Amy Coney Barrett; Democrats boycott