Severe weather hits western, central Oklahoma

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA – Severe weather began rolling across the state Wednesday afternoon bringing hail, heavy winds, heavy rain and tornado warnings.

A Tornado Watch has been issued for central and western Oklahoma until 10 p.m. Wednesday.

Wednesday afternoon, a Tornado Warning was issued for Greer and Kiowa counties.

That tornado warning expired earlier in the evening.

Missy Martin-Berry near Granite

The storms continued to move east/northeast towards Caddo, Kiowa and Washita counties where another Tornado Warning was issued, but later expired.

A Tornado Warning was also issued for Cotton, Comanche and Tillman counties. This storm became extremely dangerous and the warning was extended until 7:45 p.m. and later expired.

The National Weather Service says 100 mph winds were reported near Frederick around 6:30 p.m.

Thankfully, so far, no injuries have been reported.

Tillman County officials say they do have reports of damage, but are still surveying areas.

Officials in Kiowa, Washita, Beckham, Caddo, Harmon and Jackson counties say they have no reports of any damage.

Will Rogers World Airport officials say all operations have been suspended until further notice due to the storms.

Storms moved into the metro around 8 p.m. Wednesday.

Just after 9 p.m., all Tornado Warnings were canceled.

The westbound lanes of the H.E. Bailey Turnpike near Newcastle were closed due to dangerous winds. Oklahoma Turnpike Authority employees at the Newcastle Gate were inside their tornado shelter.

The turnpike has since been reopened.

More than 1,000 people were without power in the Edmond and Oklahoma City area.

There are reports of flooding on the road. Turn around, don’t drown!

The Oklahoma City Fire Department also rescued a man whose vehicle came to a rest in a creek after he lost control near Lake Hefner Parkway and Hefner Rd.

Firefighters were able to tell the man to get on top of his car where a rope was thrown to him, and he was quickly pulled to safety.

Just after being rescued, the man’s vehicle was swept away in the water and became entangled in trees.

Thankfully, there were no injuries.

Click here to view KFOR’s Interactive Radar. 

To view all watches and warnings, click here.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News

KFOR Digital Originals

More Digital Original


Follow @KFOR on Twitter

Border Report

More Border Report