VIDEO: Armed robbery suspect tased after leading police on chase throughout S.W. Oklahoma City

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY – An armed robbery suspect is in custody after leading police on a high-speed chase in southwest Oklahoma City.

Police came across Gary Shawn Wood on Wednesday afternoon near S.W. 22nd and Westwood.

Officers had a warrant for his arrest after a weekend shooting that left the victim in critical condition.

Wood pushed the driver out of a Dodge Magnum and took off, said OKCPD Spokeswoman Megan Morgan.

A 15-minute, high-speed chase ensued through southwest Oklahoma City and the Stockyards District, passing Tyler Lee, who was outside a business on break.

"It was just boom, out of nowhere," said Lee, who was standing with a co-worker. "We just kind of looked at each other like 'Did that just happen?'"

Lee saw the Magnum fly by and watched as several police cars pursued, turning down a strip of grass to avoid a train on the tracks.

"Once he got into the grass, it was dust flying up everywhere and he was gone," he said.

Wood initially opened the door in an attempt to run but hopped back in and drove to a dead-end.

He appeared to surrender, sticking his hands out the window, but would not exit the vehicle.

"This is one of those deals, especially in an armed robbery, you don't know if he has a gun or what else he has in there," said Bob Moore Chopper 4 Pilot Jon Welsh, who followed the chase. "It's definitely a tense situation for the police here. He's got his hands up like he wants police to come and get him out of the car, but obviously they don't want to go out there and get him out. I wouldn't either."

Eventually, Wood did exit the vehicle but refused to obey commands as he walked toward the armed officers, who used their tasers.

"This is a good example though of what a great tool a taser can be," Morgan said. "It took a very dangerous situation and ended it with little to no injury. He was a very dangerous man obviously, wanted for violent crimes, and so it’s always good to get somebody like that off of the streets."

He was booked into the Oklahoma county jail on a warrant for assault with a deadly weapon and charges related to the chase.

Watch the video of officers tasing him before placing him into custody:

Data pix.


More Local

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

In Your Corner

More In Your Corner

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter