Airstrikes hit Doctors Without Borders clinic in Yemen

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

YEMEN — Five airstrikes hit a Doctors Without Borders health clinic in Yemen Monday, according to a spokeswoman for the nonprofit charitable organization.

There were no immediate reports of casualties, said Dalila Mahdawi, but she cautioned that workers who are there are still trying to gather information.

It’s unclear who was responsible for the strikes.

The incident comes in the wake of another airstrike that hit a Doctors Without Borders hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan, on October 3. The United States said it had mistakenly struck the facility. President Barack Obama apologized to Doctors Without Borders, but the group has demanded an independent commission investigate what it has said was a war crime.

Hospitals fall under protected status under international humanitarian law, experts say.

The Kunduz attack killed at least 30 people, the organization reported this past weekend, a toll that increased from earlier reports. One additional staff member was recently confirmed to have died, the group said, bringing the total number of medical staff killed to 13. Ten patients, including at least three children, died. Seven other bodies were found in the wreckage but could not be identified, though the organization presumes them to be another staffer and two patients.

At the time, Kunduz had seen a resurgence of Taliban and the U.S. was assisting Afghan forces in fighting.

The clinic in Yemen, where a civil war is raging, is in the northwestern town of Haydan, according to Mahdawi and employees who are there.

The facility, which serves a population of 200,000, was the only life-saving clinic in the region, she said. It handled 150 emergency cases each week. It had treated 3,400 injured people since May, staff said.

Earlier this year Saudi Arabia launched Operation Decisive Storm and a Saudi-led Arab coalition began launching airstrikes to curb the advance of Houthi militia who want to overthrow the government.

The Saudi-led coalition denies conducting airstrikes in the vicinity of Doctors Without Borders clinic, according to the coalition spokesman Ahmed Asseri. “Our operations were along the Saudi border, not inside the city,” Asseri told CNN.

Two senior Yemen Health Ministry officials confirmed the airstrikes on the Haydan clinic. One told CNN that most of the victims treated there were ordinary civilians and that the facility treats very few families or relatives of Houthi loyalists.

Doctors Without Border’s regional project coordinator Miriam Czech was not present during the airstrike, but she visited the facility in the morning and said she could still see and smell smoke. She said there are devices on the ground that appear to have not exploded, but added that she has not been able enter the facility which she described as “99% destroyed.”

The emergency room, outpatient area and inpatient department, the lab and maternity area and an operating area were devastated, she said.

The first airstrike hit a side of the facility, giving the staff and two patients the chance to escape ahead of subsequent airstrikes, according to Mahdawi.

Yemeni Health Ministry employee Ali Askar was at the facility when it was hit and said he was slightly injured while escaping. He said that the only departments left standing are the X-ray room and the medical staff room, but the windows and walls were destroyed.

Trademark and Copyright 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News

Popular

KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter