Southwest Airlines employee killed in shooting at Will Rogers World Airport; police confirm suspect dead

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY – Authorities are implementing a plan to safely move passengers from Will Rogers World Airport following a shooting in which one person was killed.

Shortly before 1 p.m. on Tuesday, reports indicated at least one person was shot in the parking lot of the airport.

Officers found one victim, who was rushed to a nearby hospital in critical condition.

Just before 3:30 p.m., officials announced the victim died from his  injuries.

Southwest Airlines confirmed to CNN the victim is a Southwest Airlines employee.

On Tuesday afternoon, Southwest Airlines released the following statement:

“It is with great sorrow that Southwest Airlines confirms that a Southwest Employee who was injured during a shooting incident today at Will Rogers World Airport in Oklahoma City has died from injuries. We continue to work with the local authorities investigating this incident. As a result of the police investigation, local flight operations have been halted. We’re working to accommodate Customers still in the airport when it was locked down as well as cancelling flights departing from Oklahoma City for the remainder of the day. The Southwest Airlines Family is deeply saddened by the passing of our Southwest Family Member, and we extend our heartfelt sympathies and support to his family and Southwest Co-workers at this time.”

A short time later, Oklahoma City police confirmed the victim has been identified as 52-year-old Michael Winchester.

Officials said Winchester is a well-known name to Sooner fans.


He played football for the Sooners as a punter for the 1985 national championship team.

Police said they have not positively identified the suspect but confirmed he was found dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head in the back of a pickup on the second level of the airport’s parking garage.

The Oklahoma City Police Department closed the airport while they investigated, and passengers were asked to shelter in place.

Passengers were eventually bused people from the terminal to a safe spot.

Operations at the airport started to resume around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Multiple law enforcement agencies are investigating, including the Oklahoma City Police Department, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol and the FBI SWAT team.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

National News

More U.S & World

Washington D.C.

More Washington

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Daily Oklahoma Coronavirus Data


Contact In Your Corner Team

Latest News

More News

KFOR Digital Originals

More Digital Original

Follow @KFOR on Twitter