Body camera video shows alleged drunk, unruly passenger being escorted from flight

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY - We're getting a closer look into the moments after a man's drunken actions forced a flight headed to Orlando, Florida to make a stop in Oklahoma City.

Police say 28-year-old Derek Maas admitted to taking five shots of alcohol before begging flight attendants for more. When he was cut off, he reportedly began swearing and head butted a flight attendant, forcing the crew to restrain him.

Eventually, pilots landed in Oklahoma City and officers got on board.

As officers got on board around 2 a.m., they were greeted by tired faces of passengers who had already had a long night.

"It was a profanity-laced tirade he went on," said MSgt. Gary Knight, with the Oklahoma City Police Department. "Then at one point, he actually head butted one of the flight attendants."

As officers got there, passengers were sitting and watching. Some of them were obviously ready to see Maas get off the plane.

"Will you please get this man away from them?" said one passenger.

The officer finds Maas already restrained, an action taken by those on the plane after he allegedly assaulted a flight attendant.

"When officers arrived, he was already wearing zip-cuffs," Knight said. "They had zip-tied his hands together to control him."

Oklahoma City police officers escorted him off the plane and took him to the Oklahoma County Jail on public drunk charges.

He's now under investigation by the FBI and Homeland Security.

Police say the Delta crew did everything right.

The airline agreed, releasing the following statement:

“Delta applauds the quick action and professionalism of the crew of Delta flight 2603 operating from Salt Lake City to Orlando which diverted to Oklahoma City after a customer became unruly and violent on board. The crew restrained the customer and the flight was met by law enforcement in Oklahoma City, where he was removed and taken into custody. The flight continued to Orlando, arriving two hours past schedule. The safety and security of our customers and crew are always Delta’s top priority.”

Passengers arrived in Orlando about two hours late.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter