(CNN) – It can be tough to stop singing or humming when you have a song stuck in your head.
But why do certain songs seem to stick more than others?
The University of Amsterdam has partnered with Manchester’s Museum of Science and Industry to study what makes music so memorable.
They recently launched ‘Hooked on Music,’ an online interactive game that asks people to identify songs as quickly as possible based on a short clip.
They identified the Spice Girl’s 1996 hit song “Wannabe” as the world’s catchiest song.
According to the BBC, people recognize “Wannabe” in about 2.29 seconds.
The top 10 catchiest songs, according to the ‘Hooked on Music’ experiment are as follows:
- “Wannabe” by the Spice Girls
- “Mambo No. 5” by Lou Bega
- “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor
- “Just Dance” by Lady Gaga
- “SOS” by ABBA
- “Pretty Woman” by Roy Orbinson
- “Beat It” by Michael Jackson
- “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston
- “Don’t You Want Me” by The Human League
- “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” by Aerosmith.