Carbon monoxide scare at daycare led to unexpected culprit

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

[protected-iframe id=”60d1ac5aee3076e054008f501d364bed-29519643-31344442″ info=”″ width=”600″ height=”400″]

MIDDLETON, Idaho – Firefighters rushed to an Idaho daycare following a strange call by workers,

The manager at ‘Our Kids Daycare’ told KTVB that 12 toddlers went down for a short nap around 11:30 a.m.

When they awoke, a teacher told the manager that the childrens’ pupils were enlarged.

“And so I came in and I checked them, and I’m like, okay, they’re all dilated,” said Robin Hagaman, the daycare manager. “You need to get them out of here.’ We moved them to the other end of the building.”

Hagaman says she opened all the doors to try and ventilate the room. She says the children were very hyper before they crashed.

At the same time, two teachers had headaches and felt nauseous.

When she looked at all the symptoms, Hagaman said she believed they were all suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

When firefighters began searching the building, they realized all the gas levels were normal.

However, they believe they found a culprit that no one expected.

Firefighters say essential oils that were being diffused in the back room may have caused the bizarre reactions.

“We’ve got some essential oils to kind of help with the different smells in the room of toddlers and to help with the viruses that are going around and stuff,” Hagaman said. “We had it up here on top of the little shelf, and it was going pretty steady.”

Experts believe the workers may have put too many drops in diffuser.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter