Christmas decoration sends toddler to the emergency room

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS, Mo. – Like many families, the Jackson’s house is decorated for Christmas.

However, they say a little token of the season put their toddler in a dangerous situation.

Fourteen-month-old Andi Jackson was playing with a jingle bell when her left index finger became lodged inside a tiny hole. At first, Andi’s mom says she laughed, not thinking that the bell would lead to a serious health hazard.

Lisa Jackson says she tried using baby oil to slide the bell off her daughter’s finger, but the bell wouldn’t budge. After noticing blood, Lisa and Sean Jackson drove their daughter to a local emergency room.

The doctors at the emergency room said it was a situation they hadn’t seen before, and recommended that Andi be transferred to St. Louis Children’s Hospital.

After arriving at the second hospital, they received some grim news.

“We can’t say her finger will be saved, we can’t guarantee it,” the doctors said as they took Andi into the operation room.

The Jackson’s say doctors discussed using a “diamond saw” to remove the bell, but were able to remove the bell with a device that looked like needle nose pliers.

St. Louis Children’s Hospital Dr. Brad Warner says the holidays can bring unusual injuries involving children.

Warner says two of the more severe holiday-related injuries include swallowing toy batteries and magnets.

Andi’s parents hope their story will alert other parents about potential hazards most people would never suspect.

Local

More Local

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

In Your Corner

More In Your Corner

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News

Popular

KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter