Cigarette to blame for apartment fire

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY-Fire officials believe a cigarette and the wind are to blame for a fire that destroyed four units at a local apartment complex Saturday afternoon.

Residents at the Quail Lake Apartments attempted to put out the flames themselves before they realized it was more than they could handle.

Once on scene, firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the flames, but not before four apartments were damaged, leaving six tenants homeless.

Officials believe a cigarette on an apartment balcony is to blame.

Batt. Chief Steve Lumry with the Oklahoma City Fire Department said, “A cigarette burned through the balcony. The ashes with this wind blew right up against the building and caught the building on fire near the hot water closet.”

Fortunately, there were no reports of any injuries and the American Red Cross has stepped in to help those displaced by the fire.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News

Popular

KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter