Clean out your dryer to avoid fires, Tulsa Fire Department says

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

TULSA, Okla. (KFOR) – The lack of cleaning a common household appliance can lead to deadly results, the Tulsa Fire Department says.

Just after 1 p.m. on Wednesday, several crews with the department responded to reports of an apartment fire.

When crews arrived, they found a fire in a clothes dryer.

[protected-iframe id=”4bc2f438ef5fd66105759136c46bff5b-29519643-98557584″ info=”https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FTulsaFireDept%2Fposts%2F10158007914511800&width=500″ width=”500″ height=”846″ frameborder=”0″ style=”border: none; overflow: hidden;” scrolling=”no”]
The fire was quickly extinguished, but officials say the incident “could have ended differently if the fire had happened when occupants were sleeping.”

The Tulsa Fire Department urges everyone to clean out their dryers, as they are the leading cause of home clothes dryer fires.

According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, 2,900 home clothes dryer fires are reported each year and cause an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss.

More home clothes dryer fires occur in the fall and winter months, peaking in January.

Fire officials say it’s important to clean out the lint traps.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News

Popular

KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter