Search continues in cold case of missing three-year-old Oklahoma girl after DNA results turn up negative

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

CHICKASHA, Okla. - More than 20 years ago, a three-year-old Oklahoma girl disappeared.

For decades, her face has been on missing and exploited children’s posters across the country.

Her father has never stopped searching for her.

Earlier this year, he believed there may be a break in the cold case: A possible DNA match he hoped would finally end the wait for his daughter, Bethany Tiner.

"I want her to know that I was waiting for her to come home, and I still am, and all the years she's been gone,” Bethany’s father, Joe Tiner, said. “I've never forgot about her."

Bethany's big brown eyes have been staring back at strangers from missing and exploited children’s posters and for decades, haunting every moment of Joe’s life.

"He would wake up in the middle of the night, and he was a mess,” Joe's wife, Kellie Tiner, said. “He would be crying and a wreck. There are times he had to miss work, because he couldn't do it anymore."

It has been more than 20 years since Joe’s ex-wife fled the state with the couple’s youngest daughter, Bethany.

She was just three-years-old at the time and was last seen at the Watson Mobile Home Park in Chickasha where she lived with her mother.

"The last time I saw Beth was right around February of 1996,” Joe said. “ It was a crazy time, because during a six-month period, I lost my marriage, I lost my daughter, and then my father died two months later."

Joe and Bethany’s mother, Teresa Kennedy, shared custody of Bethany and her older sister, Catherine.

But one cold February day, Teresa took off with Bethany and left Catherine behind with Joe. He hasn’t seen them since.

Joe tracked them down to Oak Harbor, Washington where Teresa had family. He hired an attorney and sued Teresa for full custody, but the battle was just beginning.

"I'd called up there looking for her and tried to get in contact with police. Back then you tell the police 'this is what happened, and I have a court order,' and you're talking to someone in a different state, and they say, ‘Number one, she didn't commit a crime in our state, and number two it's a civil matter. You'll have to take her back to court.’” Joe said.

After miles of legal red tape that stretched clear across the country, an Oklahoma judge finally granted Joe full custody. But that is all he would get.

"So I flew to Washington on January 1, 1997, and I waited and waited and waited at the Starbucks at Seattle National Airport. Waited. Waited. Waited. She never showed up,” Joe said. "I probably waited 12 hours."

He drove straight to the Oak Harbor Police Department where, once again, he heard the same disappointing response.

"And you know what they said to me when I walked in there with that court order? ‘She didn't commit a crime in our state. That's a civil matter. It’s not a judge from our state,’" Joe said. "Finally, I just had to leave without her."

Years passed. Then a phone call.

"I get a call from a detective, and the detective says 'come down here, I need to talk to you about this,'” Joe said.

That detective was Sgt. Kori Brewer, newly appointed to Investigations at the Chickasha Police Department.

"When I was handed the case, I was handed a binder about four inches thick and started reading through it. No DNA had ever been taken from the father or any family members or anything like that,” Brewer said.

"We met, and he collected my DNA,” Joe said.

For the past eight years, Brewer has worked with the FBI, weeding through hundreds of leads. He has since been promoted and moved on from investigations, but not Bethany.

"Your adrenaline gets going, and then it stops, and I guess that's one of the reason it's so close and dear to my heart, this case is just because of the fact that I'm so emotionally involved in it. I get those highs and lows just like Joe does,” Brewer said.

So many possible sightings. So many potential leads. Only to be let down.

Out of the blue one day, Joe got a Facebook message from a young woman who saw Bethany’s photo on a missing child poster and realized it looked eerily similar to a photo of herself as a child.

There were also other details that Joe said only the real Bethany would know.

"The young lady said, 'I have this birth mark. It's on the left side right above my hairline,’” Joe said. "This isn't just your run of the mill. This could really be her."

"Very, very striking similarities. Facial similarities,” Brewer said.

She also claimed to be adopted and has problems getting employment, because her social security number does not match her birth name.

"We're not saying at this point and time that this is Bethany Tiner, because DNA will prove whether it is or is not,” Brewer said.

The young woman is in her early twenties just like Bethany. She also submitted a DNA sample to investigators.

Joe continued to correspond with the young woman he believed could possibly be his daughter.

“It's a very complicated feeling, but at the same time understanding that may not be her,” Joe said. “So then, getting that switched off to where it may not, but yet she is a person, and she's somebody's baby."

After months of waiting, Joe got some disappointing news: the girl he had been talking with was not Bethany.

The DNA sample did not match.

Although the DNA sample isn't what he was hoping for, Joe will never stop searching for his daughter.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News

KFOR Digital Originals

More Digital Original


Follow @KFOR on Twitter