Company investigating after cell phone catches fire under girl’s pillow

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DALLAS, Texas (KDFW) – A girl in Texas is warning others about their cell phones after experiencing a close call.

Ariel Tolfree loves her Samsung Galaxy S4 but says that her phone is now unrecognizable.

“The whole phone melted,” Thomas Tolfree told KDFW. “The plastic, the glass. You can’t even really tell that it was a phone.”

Tolfree says her phone slipped under her pillow when she fell asleep and she awoke to find the phone burning.

Thomas believes the phone overheated and the battery swelled, causing the fire.

A spokesperson for Samsung says their products are safe but says the battery inside the phone was a replacement and not an original Samsung part.

Also, the company says it posts a warning to their user guide that tells customers to never cover their device with bedding or other material, which could restrict air flow and start a fire.

Nevertheless, the company has asked to investigate and offered to replace the girl’s phone, bedding, mattress and pillow.

Click here for the full story.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter