This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
This is a holiday favorite; perfect for gifts or for serving. It may be frozen. This recipe yields one loaf of bread or 12 standard sized muffins. Recipe may be doubled or tripled.
- 2 C flour
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1.5 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 3/4 t salt
- 1/4 C butter, room temperature
- 3 T orange zest
- 3/4 C orange juice from concentrate, made double strength
- 1 egg
- 1 C chopped, fresh cranberries
- 1/2-3/4 C chopped nuts (optional)
- 2 T orange juice
- 1/2 t orange or vanilla extract
- 1 C confectioner’s sugar
- 1 T orange zest
- 1 T cream or additional orange juice to adjust consistency
- Grease/spray bottom only of a 8×4 or 9×5 loaf pan, or grease 12 muffin tins.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda Add butter and mix using knife or fingers until mixture resembles a crumbly meal.
- Add orange zest, 3/4 c orange juice, and egg. Stir with spatula until just moistened. Add cranberries and optional nuts.
- Using spatula for bread or a serving spoon for muffins, spread/drop into pan/muffin tins and bake until a knife comes clean from the center.
- For a 8″ loaf, about 75 min; for a 9″ loaf, roughly 55-65 min. For muffins, roughly 20 minutes.
- Loosen sides from pan, remove and cool completely.
- For glaze, whisk together ingredients, reserving last T cream or OJ to use as needed.
- Spread/pour over baked, cooked bread or muffins.