This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ADA, Okla. – Parents of an infant who was reportedly burned over 40-percent of her body have been sentenced to prison after they failed to seek medical care for the baby.

Their 16-day-old baby girl, Mia’Kota Eddy, was severely burned while being bathed by a 16-year-old cousin on December 27, 2016.

“(The girl) stated the infant was in the sink under the running water, and she said she turned off what she thought was the hot water. However, she accidentally turned off the cold water and the infant was accidentally burned,” Ada Police Detective Brian Engel stated in an affidavit.

According to KXII, police said the water hit 145-degrees.

The teen girl told her mother, who then called the infant’s parents, 25-year-old Patrick Edward Eddy and 26-year-old Candace Mercedes Matthews.

Eddy and Matthews then picked up the child and took her home.

The next day, the family friend went to check on the baby, an affidavit states.

The woman walked into the home and found the baby crying.

“(The woman) stated on arrival she observed the infant to be in a bed crying, and she stated the infant’s diaper was full of urine and feces,” Engel said in the affidavit. “(The woman) stated (Eddy and Matthews) were asleep in a bed next to the infant. (The woman) stated she then observed the burn on the infant’s stomach, and she stated the injury looked ‘awful’. (The woman) stated she woke up (Matthews) and asked her if she wanted her to take the infant to the hospital.”

The woman took the baby to a local hospital, where she was then flown to an Oklahoma City hospital to be treated for her severe burns.

The infant suffered first- and second-degree burns over 40-percent of her body.

Mia’Kota Eddy suffered first- and second-degree burns. (photo provided by family friend)

“If we hadn’t got her help, she could’ve laid there and died,”  LaCretia McDow told News 4.

According to the affidavit, the infant’s parents, Eddy and Matthews, admitted to police during questioning they did not take the child to the hospital because they were high on methamphetamine and were unaware of the extent of the baby’s injuries.

The affidavit also states the parents had no idea their child had been flown to an Oklahoma City hospital for treatment and were sleeping inside their home when officers arrived to question them about the infant’s burns.

She was later sent to a burn center in Arkansas to recover.

Officials said the baby survived her injuries.  She remains in state custody.

Eddy and Matthews were arrested for child neglect.

This week, the couple took a plea deal and was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Patrick Eddy and Candace Matthews
Patrick Eddy and Candace Matthews