Hail causes Edmond hotel fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

EDMOND, Okla. — Something smaller than a golf ball sparked a major fire that destroyed an Edmond hotel.

Officials said a piece of hail hit a neon sign at the Stratford House Inn, which caused a small fire early Wednesday morning.  

An employee was able to put out the flames but it re-ignited.

When firefighters arrived at the hotel off Broadway and 33rd St., flames were shooting through the roof.

“Here in Edmond we see a lot of fires due to lightning,” Kelly Lewis said, Edmond Fire Department. “That’s a very common cause so everybody I talked to today says, ‘Oh was it another lightning strike?'”

The severe weather may have also played a role in a fire at the Red Rock Canyon Grill near Lake Hefner Wednesday morning.  

Firefighters can’t say for sure but lightning may have started the fire.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

National News

More U.S. & World

Washington D.C.

More Washington

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Daily Oklahoma Coronavirus Data


Contact In Your Corner Team

Latest News

More News

KFOR Digital Originals

More Digital Original

Follow @KFOR on Twitter