Enid School Board meets to decide resource officer’s fate

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ENID, Okla. (KFOR) – A school board meeting in Enid stretched on for more than seven hours to determine if a a school resource officer could head back to work.

It was a packed house Tuesday for Enid’s School Board meeting.

Everyone was there to find out if Officer Mike Dods could return to work.

“How many times can you ask the same question?” an Enid parent asked.

“I don’t want to be here till 2 a.m., but I will,“ an Enid parent said.

In the audience was a sea of Dods’ supporters sealed with stickers.

According to Dods’ attorney, the chief of police at Enid Schools was terminated back in October for reporting violence to the district attorney after administrators cornered him and threatened him to not file charges or his job would be gone.

One of the cases was a special education student who was armed with scissors, screaming he was going to kill people in his class.

Another case was when several victims were allegedly stalked by a classmate with autism.

But Dods didn’t listen, and a few days later he was packing up boxes.

Fast forward to Tuesday night, Dods was set to learn his fate.

“I did what I did because lives were in danger,” Dods said.

A jam-packed Enid School boardroom was listening as Dods took the stand.

EPS’ attorneys grilled him, saying he “overstepped his boundary” going above the administrators, claiming his position is inferior in the district by-laws and that all issues had been handled by professionals when it came to special needs children.

But Dods’ attorney, Heath Merchen, countered saying Dods was just doing his job and putting students’ safety first no matter what.

Dods’ testified he was scared a mass killing spree could’ve happened at Enid High School.

“I think he’s justified in all that he has done,” an Enid parent said.

“Our kids deserve better,” Dods said. “And if I have to lose my job so someone will look at this, then I’ll do that.”

Just after 1:30 a.m. on Wednesday, Dods was removed by a unanimous vote.

Dods’ attorney tells News 4 that they will take this issue to court.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter