Family pushes to solve cold case of missing Shawnee girl

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SHAWNEE, Okla. – There’s renewed effort to solve an almost 30 year old missing person case out of Shawnee.

Sandy Rea, 17, disappeared 29 years ago this month.

Her family is hoping before another year passes, they can get some answers.

They’ve hired a private investigator and are working to get the word out, positive that someone out there has the answers they’re so desperately seeking.

Rae’s cousin, Johnny Price, was just a kid when she went missing September 19, 1984.

“I remember when she first disappeared,” said Price.

She was last seen at the Shawnee Bowl.

“She had come here because she had a relative that was working here at the time. And she was hoping that he might be able to give her a ride. But he wasn’t able to get off work that night. And so I think she used a phone here to make a couple phone calls. She went outside and then that was the last time that she was ever seen,” said Price.

Price says for almost 30 years, Rae’s family has lived in agony, not knowing what happened to her.

Recently, Price has felt the push to get the case solved.

“I’m going to pursue it and pursue it and pursue it and push and push and push until we can find out who did it, where she’s at, what happened and bring some closure to the family,” he said.

Shawnee detective, Greg Gibson, nos works the property room for the police department.

But he brought Rae’s case over with him and says he’d like to close the case before he retires in the next couple years.

“I’m not giving up until I’m gone,” said Sgt. Gibson. “Just waiting and hoping that one day somebody who might have been a juvenile at that time has kids and realizes the pain and suffering that someone’s going through.”

Price says even if they don’t find out exactly what happened, the family is desperate to find Rae’s remains; so even if it is decades later, they can give her a proper burial.

“She didn’t deserve to be treated the way that she did. She didn’t deserve to be dumped in a hole or dumped in a well,” said Price.

Price says within the past 6 months, they’ve found a woman who says she saw Rae at a convenience store by the Shawnee mill, two days after she first disappeared.

This woman claims Rae was screaming while being held down in the back seat of a car.

Rae’s family is hoping this new information will start leading them in the right direction.

In Your Corner

More In Your Corner

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter