With two weeks until Christmas, Oklahomans are now feeling the frigid temperatures of December.
Officials with the Oklahoma Insurance Commission said the colder weather could cause a lot of damage to your home in the event of a fire.
Proper maintenance for your heating system is the best way to make sure your home is ready for the winter weather.
Last year, insurance companies paid out over $90 million in claims for fire-related damages.
The Oklahoma City Fire Department has a few tips to help protect your family and your property as you turn up the heat.
- Keep flammable objects away from furnaces, fireplaces and other heating units.
- Clean or replace the furnace filter and clean entire furnace area to remove debris.
- Have heating units inspected by a licensed contractor.
- Clean fireplaces and chimneys.
- Before going to bed at night, check that fires are completely out and space heaters have proper ventilation.
- Make sure your carbon monoxide detector is working properly. If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector, get one.
- Never discard hot ashes inside or near the home. Place them in a metal container outside and well away from the house.
- Never use a range or an oven as a supplemental heating device. Not only is it a safety hazard, it can be a source of potentially toxic fumes.
- If you use an electric heater, be sure not to overload the circuit. Only use extension cords which have the necessary rating to carry the amp load. TIP: Choose an extension cord the same size or larger than the appliance electrical cord.
Many fire department offer free smoke detectors, batteries and installation to residents who ask.