Fire crews: Mop left on top of heater to blame for small fire at Penn Square Mall

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – Firefighters rushed to a busy mall in Oklahoma City after a shopper reported smelling smoke in the building.

On Tuesday morning, Oklahoma City firefighters were called to Penn Square Mall to check out the reports.

Investigators learned that a fire began in a small maintenance closet where a mop was left on top of a small heater. Fortunately, the fire was out by the time fire crews arrived on the scene.

Officials say this should serve as a reminder to others to place heaters three feet from anything that can burn, and to plug heaters directly into a wall socket and not an extension cord.

If possible, Oklahomans should purchase a heater with overheat protection and an automatic shut off.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News

Popular

KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter