Firefighters: Heat lamp in dog house sparks fire in OKC home

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY - A heat lamp in a dog house is to blame for a fire that heavily damaged a home on the southwest side of Oklahoma City.

It happened just before 8:00 a.m. Tuesday at 13224 Almond Dr.

The homeowner was relaxing in his living room.

"He heard a pop coming from the back. The patio," Chief Battalion for the Oklahoma City Fire Department, Al Cothran, said.

The flames were so intense firefighters had to be on the defensive.

According to firefighters, a heat lamp inside a dog house caught fire.

"We see that quite often this time of year. People put heat lamps in the dog house," Cothran said. "Those get extremely hot when they come in contact with blankets. People put hay in there. It's not uncommon for those to start a fire."

The dog house was destroyed and then the flames spread to the main house.

Officials say the 2,000 square foot family home is a total loss.

This is a developing story.  Please refresh this page often for updates.

 

 See a typo? Report it here.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News

Popular

KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter