Former NFL player now investigated for double murder

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(CNN) – Aaron Hernandez, the former NFL tight end charged with murder in the death last week of an acquaintance, is now being investigated in connection with a double homicide in Boston’s South End in July 2012, a law enforcement source close to the investigation said.

The source gave no indication whether there was any connection between that investigation and Hernandez’s current murder charge.

What is known is that the Boston Police Department has located and impounded a silver SUV with Rhode Island registration that police have been trying to find for almost a year, which is linked to the scene of a double homicide in 2012, the source said.

Investigators said they believe Hernandez was renting the SUV at the time of those killings, the source said.

A second man arrested in connection with the killing of Odin Lloyd is also expected to appear before a judge.

Carlos Ortiz was arrested in Bristol, Connecticut, Wednesday and will have an initial hearing in Attleboro, Massachusetts, District Court as early as Thursday, a source with knowledge of the investigation said.

Hernandez is accused in last week’s shooting death of Lloyd, whose body was found in an industrial park area less than a mile from Hernandez’s home.

He has pleaded not guilty.

MORE: Full coverage from CNN

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News

Popular

KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter