CAMERON, Texas (WPMT) – The family of a 2-year-old girl who was put into foster care is speaking out about her death.
Alex Hill, 2, was put in foster care after her father admitted to using marijuana, according to the Houston Press.
According to the post, Joshua Hill told child welfare investigators that he smoked pot after the little girl was in bed at night.
Alex’s mother, Mary Sweeney, suffers from a medical condition, which causes her to suffer from frequent seizures.
“Mr. Hill admitted to smoking marijuana in the house when his daughter has been upstairs sleeping,” the caseworker, representing the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, noted in court records.
From photographs, it appears the toddler was happy and healthy when she was initially placed in foster care.
Immediately, the parents say they found mold in the foster home and Alex had bruises on her body.
Hill says he refused to give his daughter back to the state unless they placed her in a different home.
The agency agreed and moved her into a foster home with Sherill Small.
Four months before Hill was scheduled to regain custody of Alex, he received a call saying that his daughter was in the hospital.
When he arrived, she was on life support.
Small told police that she had accidentally slammed the child into the floor.
However, she admitted that she was frustrated the little girl woke up so early.
Alex’s autopsy showed she had several bruises all around her body and the medical examiner stated that her head hit the floor so hard that she had “subdural hemorrhaging, subarachnoid hemorrhaging and retinal hemorrhaging in both eyes,” according to court testimony.
On Tuesday, Small was sentenced to life in prison for Alex’s death.