Update: Missing Denver Broncos fan found safe

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

UPDATE 10/29/2014 6:31 A.M.

(CNN) — Paul Kitterman, a Denver Broncos fan who disappeared during a game five days ago, has been found and is safe, the Denver Police Department tweeted Tuesday night. Kitterman was located some 112 miles away in Pueblo, Colorado.

No foul play suspected.

NBC station KOAA reported that he was spotted wandering in a Kmart parking lot on Tuesday after police received a call from his ex-wife. Pueblo police told KOAA that Kitterman had said he liked to walk.



(CNN) — Authorities are treating the disappearance of a 53-year-old Denver Broncos fan from a game last week as an “active missing person’s investigation,” and while foul play isn’t evident, nothing’s been ruled out, Denver police spokesman Sonny Jackson said Tuesday.

Investigators have been reviewing hundreds of hours of surveillance footage from Sports Authority Field at Mile High, but so far, haven’t been able to locate Paul Kitterman, though a witness remembers seeing him in the stadium during the third quarter, Jackson said.

“We don’t know if he voluntarily walked away,” he said. “We don’t specifically see any foul play … but the fact is we are not ruling anything out.”

Earlier Tuesday, the department tweeted an alert saying officers were investigating a death near Sports Authority Field, but the male victim was not believed to be Kitterman.

Broncos spokesman Patrick Smyth referred CNN’s questions to the police department and said the team is cooperating with police.

“We can’t confirm we have handed anything over … but all the resources we have, whether that’s surveillance or incident logs or anything, we will give them,” Smyth said. “If they asked for anything, we’ll give it to them.”

Tia Bakke, who gave Kitterman and his stepson, Jarod Tonneson, their tickets to the game and rode with the pair on the two-hour drive from Kremmling, said this type of behavior is not customary of Kitterman. He was not intoxicated, and he had no mental health issues, she said.

What’s more, he had plans this week — to do some construction work and to go hunting.

“Paul did not just walk away on his own,” she said. “Something bad has happened to him.”

Police have told Bakke they believe Kitterman simply walked away, she said, and because he’s an adult, it’s not a crime.

Vanishing act

When last they spoke, Kitterman and Tonneson agreed to meet Bakke and her friend at Gate 8 after the game, but he never showed.

Tonneson went into a bathroom during the Thursday Night Football game, while his stepdad waited outside. When Tonneson came out, Kitterman wasn’t there.

Tonneson went back to their seats.

No sign of him.

He checked with Bakke. There was more room in their section and perhaps Kitterman, who was attending his first game, would be there.

No sign of him.

There was no cell phone to call. Kitterman, 53, doesn’t care for them.

Bakke and Tonneson went to Gate 8, where they were supposed to meet after the game.

No sign of him.

“He wouldn’t leave Jarod for all the money in the world,” Bakke said Monday. “He had plans the next day. He had things he wanted to do.”

According to CNN affiliate KUSA-TV, Kitterman didn’t care for credit cards and was carrying about $50 in cash.

“Paul is the best guy you could ask for. They don’t make them like Paul anymore,” said Bakke, who met Kitterman through her boyfriend, who has known the missing man for a decade.

If Kitterman ever needed time to himself, he would take a horse ride and tell people where he was going, Bakke said. He’s even gone camping to get away in the past — but, again, he told his family and friends where he was going, she said.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic of the Red Cross

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter