This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MCALESTER, Okla. – The U.S. Supreme Court denied an Oklahoma inmate’s attorneys pleas for a stay of execution.

Richard Glossip was set to die on Wednesday, Sept. 30 at 3 p.m.

However, his execution was delayed while prison officials waited for a ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Glossip is convicted of murder for the 1997 death of motel owner Barry Van Treese, though Glossip wasn’t the actual killer.

The man who bludgeoned Van Treese to death, Justin Sneed, testified that Glossip hired him for the murder.

Glossip has been on death row since 1998.

His execution has been stayed three times and he still maintains his innocence.

On Monday, the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals denied Glossip’s request for a stay of execution.

Tuesday, Glossip’s attorneys filed a petition to the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals, asking them to reconsider their decision to deny a hearing for new evidence.

Glossip’s attorneys were also appealing to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Just before 3 p.m. on Wednesday, the Supreme Court denied Glossip’s stay of execution, meaning the procedure will move forward.

According to the denial, Justice Steven Breyer was the one who was in favor of granting a stay.

A representative for Pope Francis sent Governor Mary Fallin a letter asking her to commute Glossip’s sentence.

However, Fallin maintains that she has no authority to stop his execution.

For his last meal, Glossip asked for Pizza Hut, Long John Silvers and Wendy’s.  There is a $25 limit on inmate’s last meal requests.

Officials selected media witnesses for Glossip’s execution Wednesday afternoon just before 2 p.m.

KFOR’s Ali Meyer has been selected as Oklahoma City’s media witness for the execution.

While many people at the prison were waiting for the Supreme Court’s decision on the case, dozens of others took to protesting the death penalty outside the governor’s mansion.