Graphic: Man says he suffered third-degree burns after iPhone exploded in his pocket

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Warning: This story contains images which some viewers may find graphic. Viewer discretion is advised.

SYDNEY, Australia – A man says he suffered third-degree burns after his iPhone exploded in his pocket following a fall.

Gareth Clear, 36, was riding his bike in Sydney, Australia when he fell from his bike and landed on his iPhone, which was in his back pocket.

The pressure from the fall caused his iPhone to explode, Clear told the Sydney Morning Herald.

“I just saw smoke coming out of my back pocket…and then all of a sudden I felt this surging pain,” he told the local newspaper. “I just remember looking at my leg and I had this black discharge all down my leg and this smell of phosphorus.”

Clear told 9News he immediately tried to peel the phone off his leg, leaving his hands covered in blisters.

The cyclist went to the hospital, where he says he was treated for third-degree burns.

He said the burns required skin graft surgery.

Clear told the Sydney Morning Herald that he does not blame Apple for his injury.

However, he wants Apple to issue a statement to let other iPhone users know if a similar incident could happen again.

“What if that was my face? What if that was someone else’s face? What if that’s a young kid that’s left alone with an iPhone, and is banging away and is left unsupervised and something happens?” he said.

A spokesman for the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission said they are investigating the incident.



More Local

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

In Your Corner

More In Your Corner

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ
graphic with open for takeout or delivery

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter