Graphic: Newborn suffers second-degree burns in hospital’s care

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Warning: Some images in this video are considered graphic and may not be appropriate for all audiences.

HOUSTON, Texas – Spencer Lewandowski was so excited when his baby girl was born recently at St. Joseph Medical Center.

However, that excitement has since turned to concern.

Isabel was injured just days after being born.
Isabel was injured just days after being born.

Isabel was born just a few days ago, but her parents worry that what a nurse at the hospital did may have a lasting impact.

“My baby has second-degree burns on her foot and ankle and now we are just trying to get her treated,” Lewandowski told KPRC.

He says Isabel suffered second-degree burns while she was getting a routine blood test.

“They got a diaper and filled it full of water and put it in the microwave and then applied it to my baby’s ankle and foot, which then caused second-degree, severe second-degree, burns,” he said.

“The nurse took a diaper, wet it and put it in a microwave and then put it on the baby’s heel and hurt the heel. I’ve been representing children with injuries for 16 years and I’ve never heard of this happening,” said Tim Culberson, Lewandowski’s attorney.

Hospital officials issued the following statement:

“At St. Joseph Medical Center, the safety and care of our patients is our utmost concern. We are aware of the complaint, and are conducting a thorough investigation that is ongoing. The hospital is committed to providing high quality health services to the communities we serve.”

See a mistake? Report a typo here.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News

Popular

KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter