Gunman fires into crowd following Thunder win

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Data pix.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Shots ring out in Bricktown as thousands of fans leave the Chesapeake Energy Arena following the Thunder win Monday night.

Police said at least eight people were shot in Lower Bricktown about 11:30 p.m. 

It happened on Reno between Joe Carter and Mickey Mantle.

Police said a fight escalated and a gunman fired into the crowd.

One shooting victim is in critical condition, the others have non-life-threatening injuries.

Also, a pregnant woman was injured when she was trampled by the crowd.

The shooting victims are: 

1. Norman Richards, III, 22 years old - Shot
2. Female Juvenile, 14 years old - Shot
3. Leibra Gaines, 22 years old - Shot
4. Twaina Jones, 22 years old - Shot
5. Female Juvenile 13 years old - Shot
6. Female Juvenile, 14 years old - Shot
7. Female Juvenile, 15 years old - Shot
8. Male Juvenile, 17 years old - Shot
9. Destiny Holmes, pregnant, – Blunt Force Trauma

Police said they have one suspect in custody for the Bricktown shooting, 19-year-old Rodney Dewon Hill. 

Hill is not one of the two arrested Monday night for unrelated traffic warrants after seen leaving the area three blocks from Thunder Alley. 

Chief Bill Citty said talks with witnesses led to Hill's arrest.

According to the affidavit, Hill, two other men and a woman were involved in an altercation with several of the shooting victims before one of the men pulled a gun and starting shooting into the crowd. 

It did not state if Hill was the suspected shooter but he has been arrested on eight counts of shooting with intent to kill.

Police are still searching for other suspects in this shooting by they do not have any other suspect information at this time.

If you have any information you are urged to call Crime Stoppers at (405) 235-7300.

Statement on shooting from Bricktown Association:

"The Bricktown Association takes the safety and security of our visitors very seriously, and our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this tragic incident. 

The incident that occurred following the Thunder game on May 21 is not a reflection on the safety and security of the Downtown or Bricktown areas, but rather an isolated event, and just happened to occur in Bricktown as the Thunder game let out and crowds were walking towards the parking area in lower Bricktown. 

We will continue to work with OKCPD and support any and all efforts to deter this type of incident from happening again.

In Your Corner

More In Your Corner

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter