Helpful heating tips as the temperatures begin to drop

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OKLAHOMA CITY – As the temperatures continue to drop, health officials are reminding residents to use precaution when heating their homes.

“It’s been a rough year for us with 19 fire fatalities this year. All but one of those had one common threat: no working smoke alarms,” said Batt. Chief Benny Fulkerson, with the Oklahoma City Fire Department.

Officials with the Oklahoma City-County Health Department say the city has already had two space heater fires and a fireplace fire within the past two months.

When heating your home:

  • Keep space heaters three feet away from anything that can burn, and turn them off when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Fireplaces need to be cleaned and inspected by a qualified specialist.
  • Fireplaces need a screen. This will prevent embers from flying out of the fireplace and into the living area of the home. Also, keep things that could burn at least three feet away.

Also, gas cooking stoves should never be used to heat a living space. Any heater or cooking equipment designed to be used outdoors should never be moved inside because of the threat of fire and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Dull headache
  • Weakness & dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision.

If you need a free smoke alarm, call (405) 316-BEEP.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter