OKLAHOMA CITY - It can be difficult to keep your curious cats and nosy dogs out of trouble.
If you've ever taken your dog to the vet with unexplained symptoms, you may be wondering if they stumbled into something poisonous.
Dr. Aaron Farr, with Animal Medical Center in Edmond, stopped by our studios with some real surprises about dangers in homes and yards.
Farr says that dark chocolate seems to cause the most poisoning cases in dogs. A 20 pound dog could become critically ill by ingesting as little as one ounce of dark chocolate or baker's chocolate. However, the dog would need to eat about eight ounces of milk chocolate for their illness to become as critical.
Also, make sure that you keep Xylitol sweetener away from your dog because it can be deadly. The sweetener is often found in sugar-free chewing gum and peanut butter.
Some human medications are OK for dogs, like allergy pills, but anti-inflammatories, heart medicine and anxiety/depression medication can be very dangerous.
There are also several items that can be dangerous to your pets that are commonly found in your garage, like paint balls, Gorilla Glue, zinc and gopher bait and poisons.