High school student suspended for recording a fight with his smartphone

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A high school student in North Carolina was suspended from Pine Forest High School for recording a fight with his smartphone.

However, school administrators point to the incident as a violation of the school’s student policy.

DeAnthonie Taylor, 15, was one of the several students recording the fracas in an area called the “Fish Pond.”

As school administrators and teachers were breaking up the brawl, Ricky O’Briant, the school’s safety coordinator, ordered Taylor to stop recording the fight by grabbing his smartphone and throwing him to the ground.

“I did not even hear him. He pointed at me and said something, and I did not hear what he said, and then he came up and grabbed my phone,” Taylor said.

Alternate video shot by another student shows Taylor jumping up at O’Briant, who then grabs him and tosses him to the ground.

Sonya Taylor, Deanthonie’s mother, expressed outrage due to the recording and wants O’Briant to be made accountable for his actions.

However, her son received a suspension for violating the school’s student policy.

“Never had a phone call that, from a principal at my job, because I was at work at the time, that my son had got hurt or was involved with anything,” she said.

Taylor suffered an injury to his wrist and scratches on his chest from the incident.

Principal David Culbreth views the video as a snapshot of a much larger incident at the school.

“That’s why we wanted to do a thorough investigation and contacted,” Culbreath said. “(We) turned it over to police to let them investigate the incident fully.”

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Latest News

More News

KFOR Digital Originals

More Digital Original


Follow @KFOR on Twitter

Border Report

More Border Report