Holtzclaw Day 16: DNA testing plays key role, as jurors are led outside of courthouse

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

After fifteen days of testimony indoors in the trial of Daniel Holtzclaw, jurors spent part of their Tuesday outside in a rare move by prosecutors.

Jurors were driven to various sites discussed in the case.

Bob Moore Chopper 4 caught the caravan, as they stopped by an area near N.W. 14th and Indiana.

That location was near the site of an alleged assault described on Tuesday by the final accuser in the case.

The woman told the jury she was walking to her mother's house last summer, when she came into contact with officer Holtzclaw.

She and a couple friends had run into the officer earlier in the night but, when they spoke the second time, he offered to give the woman a ride home.

The alleged victim was 17 at the time, testifying on Tuesday that Holtzclaw followed her to the front porch of the home and raped her.

The woman's mother later testified, explaining, in the hours before the assault, she had reported her daughter as a runaway.

She said, late that same night, Holtzclaw called her cell phone, asking to speak with her 17-year-old daughter.

The woman told attorneys the phone call made her so mad, she called the officer a "pervert," hung up then took a screenshot of the phone call.

That screenshot was shared with the jury.

Throughout the case, prosecutors have focused on DNA found in and outside of Holtzclaw's uniform pants as a key part of their investigation.

Detective Kim Davis testified Tuesday that DNA matched with the 17-year-old accuser.

Defense attorney Scott Adams discussed the alleged victim's history of drug use.

He also pointed out that the woman did not voluntarily report the assault.

It was only after detectives had spoken with the accuser's mother and after the woman had looked up the story online that she said she had been raped.

Tuesday's accuser was the 13th and final victim named in this case.

Testimony will continue Wednesday morning.

Latest News

More News

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC

Your Local Election HQ

More Your Local Election HQ

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter