“It will kill you,” Family sues smoke shop after son’s death

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

EL RENO, Okla. - A family is suing the former owners of an Oklahoma City smoke shop after the medical examiner concluded a 24-year-old man died from toxins in synthetic marijuana.

Ziggyz Smoke Shop allegedly sold 'Get Real' to Dylan Ordaz, who passed away in January 2015, after consuming the product.

His family said Dylan was using it to cope with the pain of a car accident.

"He had numerous prescriptions that he wouldn't even fill, because they really didn't help, and he didn't want to get hooked on those," said his mom, Tricia Diaz. "He was in a lot of pain, and he never walked the same, because he was in so much pain in the way he carried himself."

A drunk driver hit Ordaz in April 2012.

A helicopter took him to OU Medical Center, where he stayed for months with broken bones and road rash.

His mom said Dylan wanted to try medical marijuana for the pain, but friends recommended he try the legal, synthetic marijuana.

The lawsuit lists Roger Zhu and Xiang Yu 'Johnny' Ren as defendants.

Their lawyer could not be reached for comment late Friday afternoon.

Ziggyz is now owned by a Chelsey Davis, who acquired the string of smoke shops after a federal raid.

Davis did not want to comment on the lawsuit, because he is not directly involved, but his shops do not sell synthetic marijuana.

Dylan openly told his mother of his makeshift medicine.

"He said 'I know what I'm doing, and I've just gotta do something to resolve some of this pain. I can't survive with it,'" Tricia said. "He couldn't function."

Tricia found her son dead in his home.

An autopsy showed synthetic marijuana as the cause of death.

For the Ordaz family, it was the scientific evidence they needed to move forward with a suit.

"I'm just thankful we do have the proof, so that everyone will believe that this is dangerous, and this is toxic, and they won't continue to use it," Tricia said. "That's why I want to warn everyone now. If there are any of his peers or even older people, there may be adults that are doing this, it will kill you."

Ordaz is part of a larger trend of deaths and serious medical episodes involving synthetic cannabinoids.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, synthetic marijuana-related deaths doubled from 2014 to 2015, from 5 to 10.

And, calls to poison centers between January-April jumped 229 percent.

Data pix.

In Your Corner

More In Your Corner

National News

More National

Washington D.C.

More Washington DC Bureau

Don't Miss

Latest News

More News


KFOR Podcasts

More Podcasts

Follow @KFOR on Twitter